ST. PAUL, Minn. – The Minnesota Department of Transportation urges anglers to plan ahead and use caution while driving through highway work zones on the way to their favorite fishing spots this weekend.
Motorists may encounter lane closures and detours because of transportation projects that are under way this construction season. Some areas of the state are also experiencing flooding. MnDOT recommends that motorists prepare for slower moving traffic, think about alternate routes, and visit www.511mn.org to get information about road construction projects and traffic impacts.
Note: Expect heavier traffic in and around Albert Lea where the governor’s annual fishing opener will occur on area lakes May 9-12.
Some of the highway projects that may affect weekend travel include:
· I-94 Lake Latoka near Alexandria – Single lane traffic on I-94 in both directions, Lake Latoka Rest Area closed
· Highways 55, 59, 79 – Elbow Lake – Roadway reduced to one lane, flaggers
· Highway 12 between Highway 75 and County Road 36 – Road closed due to flooding
· Highway 119 Appleton – Highway 119 closed between Highway 40 and County Road 34, detour and alternating lane closures
· Highway Hwy 27 Little Falls – Highway 27 closed, detour through September
· Highway 65/Highway 107 near Braham – Single lane traffic, lane shifts and reduced speeds
· Highway 169 Garrison – Roadway reduced to one lane
· Highway 15 St. Augusta to Kimball – Highway 15 closed, detour through July
· Highway 55 Annandale to Maple Lake – Highway 55 closed, detour
· I-35W Minnesota River Bridge Replacement – Alternating lane closures, narrow lanes, ramp closures
· I-35W Downtown to Crosstown – Northbound and southbound lane closures between I-94 and 46th Street, ramp closures
· I-35W MnPASS North – Northbound lane closure between Roseville and Blaine, southbound reduced to two lanes, nighttime work
· I-35 split in Forest Lake – Lane closures, single lane traffic
· I-35 Rush City – Northbound and southbound single lane traffic near Harris
· I-35E Mendota Heights – Roadway reduced to one lane, alternating lane closures, ramp closures, nighttime work
· I-494 Inver Grove Heights – Westbound traffic reduced to two lanes, ramp closures
· I-35 Snake River bridge replacements – Southbound lane closed, ramps closed, Hwy 70 traffic detoured to Highway 7 through mid-July
· I-35 in Downtown Duluth – Single lane traffic through June
· Highways 1, 75, 175, 220 and 317 in northwest Minnesota – Roads closed due to flooding
· I-90 Freeborn County – Single lane traffic in each direction, reduced speeds
· Highway 52 Chatfield to I-90 – Highway 52 closed, detour through July
· I-90 Fairmont to Blue Earth – Single lane traffic and shoulder closures
· Highway 14 New Ulm – Highway 14/Highway 15 closed, detour
· Highway 169 between Le Sueur and St. Peter – Road reduced to one lane until May 10
· Highway 60 St. James – Single lane traffic in each direction, ramp closures
MnDOT urges motorists to be attentive, drive with caution, slow down in work zones and never enter a road blocked with barriers or cones.
For a complete list of projects by highway or region, visit www.mndot.gov/roadwork/current.html.
Motorists can stay informed about projects and other transportation topics by connecting to MnDOT via social media, as well as by signing up for email updates for major projects at www.mndot.gov/emailupdates.