Minutes of the Swanville City Council meeting held in the Swanville Center on Tuesday, January 7, 2020. The meeting called to order 7:00 p.m. with the following members present: Sandy Lange, Deb Wood, Norm Carlson, Tony Maciej and Jim Molitor. Also present: Sharon Blumke, John Gessell, Clif Allen and reporter Sheila McCoy.
Minutes of the Swanville City Council meeting Wednesday, December 3, 2019 were reviewed. After discussion, a motion was made by Norm Carlson to approve the minutes. Jim Molitor seconded the motion. All members voted in favor, motion carried.
The treasures report was given. A motion was made by Jim Molitor and seconded by Deb Wood to approve the treasurer’s report. All members voted in favor, motion carried.
Clif Allen, City Engineer, was present to go over with council reconditioning of the water tower. The cost will be approx. $66,000.00 plus inspection fees. The work will take 6 to 7 weeks to complete. Mayor Lange made a motion to hire Moore Engineering to get quotes and open the quotes before the next council meeting at 6:30pm. Jim Molitor seconded the motion. All members voted in favor, motion carried.
Allen also discussed with council the North Berkey Avenue second addition. With water, sewer, paved street, permits, and lift station the estimated cost would be appx $960,000.00. Council decided to table for now.
Resolution #20-0107A was presented to the council, which is the purchase agreement for John Gessell for the lot to the north of his house on North Berkey Avenue. It states the $1000.00 has been received for this lot and the purchase price does not include water and sewer hookups. Jim Molitor made a motion to accept resolution #20-0107A. Deb Wood seconded the motion. All members voted in favor, motion carried.
Frank Gessell would like to purchase lot 3, block 2 of the North Berkey Avenue Addition. Jim Molitor made a motion to sell the lot to Frank Gessell for $2000.00 which includes water and sewer hookups. Tony Maciej seconded the motion. All members voted in favor, motion carried.
Sharon Blumke is interested in purchasing the lot to the west of her lot on North Berkey Avenue. After discussion, council decided to sell the lot for $1545.00 not including water and sewer hookups. Blumke will call the Clerk with her decision. The lot would have to be rezoned to residential and a public meeting will be held before the next council meeting if Blumke plans on purchasing the lot.
Resolution #20-0107B was presented to council which states a public hearing will be set for February 4, 2020 to vacate drainage and utility easements located in block 2 of the plat of Swanville Industrial Park. Tony Maciej made a motion to adopt Resolution #20-0107B to set the hearing before the February Council meeting. Norm Carlson seconded the motion. All members voted in favor, motion carried.
The budget for 2020 was again discussed. Norm Carlson made a motion to accept the budget as presented. Deb Wood seconded the motion. All members voted in favor, motion carried.
Lucky’s Saloon liquor license will be expiring March 6, 2020. Jim Molitor made a motion to renew the liquor license for Lucky’s Saloon for one year with the following fees: Off Sale: $150.00, On Sale: $2000.00, Sunday License: $250.00 and 2:00 a.m. closing fee: $100.00 for a total of $2500.00 Norm Carlson seconded the motion, all members voted in favor, motion carried. The clerk will prepare the necessary paper work.
This being the first meeting of the year, the following organizational actions are made:
1. Jim Molitor will be acting Mayor in the absence of Mayor Lange.
2. The First State Bank of Swanville will be the designated depository of the City.
The Morrison County Record will be the designated official newspaper of the City.
3. The regular meeting date for the City Council meeting is the first Tuesday after the first Monday of each month at 7:00 p.m. Special meeting only after proper notification and publication.
4. The Bond of the City Clerk/Treasurer will be set at $12,000.00.
5. Assigned duties to the following Council Members and Citizens of the Community:
Community Center- Julie Hollermann & Deb Wood
City Park- Lonny Hutchins and Sandy Lange
Streets and Sidewalks- Tony Maciej and Lonny Hutchins
Springbrook Cemetery- Julie Hollermann and Lonny Hutchins
City Weed Inspector- Jim Molitor and Lonny Hutchins
Rural Fire Assoc. Rep- Sandy Lange and Deb Wood
6. City Attorney- The law office of Brown, Krueger and Vancura
7. City Engineer- Moore Engineering
8. Representative on the Senior Center Board- Norm Carlson
9. Planning and Zoning Committee- Sandy Lange, Val Sobania, John Dragseth, Tony Maciej, Steve Gruber, Jim Molitor and Lonny Hutchins.
10. Well Head Managers- Lonny Hutchins and Jim Molitor
A motion was made by Deb Wood to accept these actions as listed. Tony Maciej seconded the motion. All members voted in favor, motion carried.
Salaries for Employees and Council Members for 2020:
1. Mayor’s salary- $1800.00 annually+ $20.00 per hour for special meetings (1 hour min pay).
2. Council Members salary- $900.00 annually+ $20.00 per hour for special meetings (1 hr min pay).
3. Not approved- Clerk/Treasurer salary- $1236.00 monthly+ $20.00 per hour for special meeting (1 hr min pay).
4. Cleaning Community Center- $150.00 monthly
5. Not approved- Maintenance Worker Salary- $44,000.00 Annual wage+ 60% health care+ disability ins & 2 weeks paid vacation and cell phone monthly fee.
6. Substitute Maintenance Man Salary- $16.00 per hour
7. Park & City Center Cleaner- $12.00 per hour
8. Summer part-time worker- $12.00
9. Mileage at present 55¢ a mile
A motion was made by Tony Maciej to approve all salaries as stated above accept for the Clerk and Maintenance salary pending their review. Jim Molitor seconded the motion. All members voted in favor, motion carried.
The following claims were presented for payment. Members of the council were furnished with a listing. Jim Molitor made a motion to approve the claims. Deb Wood seconded the motion. All members voted in favor, motion carried.
The next regular monthly meeting will be held Tuesday, February 4, 2020 at 7:00 p.m. With two public hearings taking place at 6:45 p.m. to hear public input on rezoning a lot to residential for the lot to the west of Sharon Blumke’s lot on North Berkey Avenue and to hear public input on the proposed vacation on the drainage and utility easements in the Industrial Park block 2.
There being no further business, a motion was made by Deb Wood and seconded by Tony Maciej to adjourn. All members voted in favor, motion carried. Meeting adjourned 8:45 p.m.
Julie Hollermann, City Clerk/Treasurer